Thursday, June 13, 2024

Wikipedia's Image of the Day: Automated

Hello, kooper here.


While trying to think about what to post here, I suddenly realised that I didn't have any images to present.

In the last post, I hinted about using images from Wikipedia's Image of the Day, however I didn't have a way of parsing Wikipedia to get the images.


Until now!

I have created a Python script which, when run, will do the following:

  • Print the URL of the current Image of the Day
  • Display said image on a Tkinter window

Not only that, but you can also modify the code to specify a custom width and height for the Tkinter window (if you want to do that).


Requirements

  • At least Python 3.10 (this program uses f-strings)
  • 'pillow' module

 

Samples

Below is the image of the day for 13th June 2024 in both its original size and upscaled to 800x600:



 

 

 Download

You can download the script here.

No comments:

Post a Comment